MLIS - Kent State University, Columbus, Ohio (2009).
PhD - Pharmacology. University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil (2003).
MS - Pharmacology. University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil (1999).
BS - Professional degree: Pharmacy. Federal University of Amazonas, Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil (1996).
DENISON UNIVERSITY, Granville, Ohio.
- Natural Sciences Liaison Librarian – William Howard Doane Library (August 2009-Present).
Collaborate and partner with teaching faculty in the Natural Sciences to provide information literacy instruction. Promote the use of information technologies in research and teaching. Select and monitor library collections on the assigned divisions. Create digital collections to support the curriculum. Participate in other activities such as reference work, committee assignements and outreach.
THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY (OSU), Columbus, Ohio.
- Practicum student - Resource Management Department - Prior Health Sciences Library, and Special Collections Cataloging Department - University Libraries (January 2009-May 2009).
- Student volunteer - Cataloging and Electronic Resources Management - Resource Management Department - Prior Health Sciences Library (September 2008-May 2009).
- Student volunteer - Western Language Cataloging and Authority Control and Database Maintenance -Cataloging Department - University Libraries (November 2007-December 2008).
UNIVERSITY OF CONNECTICUT, Storrs, Connecticut.
- Postdoctoral research fellow -Department of Physiology and Neurobiology (2004–2005).
UNIVERSITY OF SAO PAULO, Ribeirao Preto, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Doctoral research fellow - Department of Pharmacology - Ribeirao Preto Medical School (1999–2003).
- Master research fellow - Department of Pharmacology - Ribeirao Preto Medical School (1997–1999).
- Graduate research fellow - Department of Pharmacology -Ribeirao Preto Medical School (1996–1997).
FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF AMAZONAS, Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil.
- Teaching assistant - Pharmacy School (1995-1996).
Publications and presentations
Garcia M.M. "STEAMing Hot: the Love Story of Science and Art and Why Libraries are the Perfect Matchmaker". Talk pesented at the Denison University Tuesday Lunch Series in Granville, OH, 2014.
Robinson, S.M., & Garcia, M.M. "Embracing the STEM to STEAM Initiative: the Library as Bridge Between Science and Art". Session presented at the 2013 ALAO Annual Conference in North Canton, OH, 2013.
Ricker, A.S., Garcia, M.M., & Peoples, D.C. “Embracing Troublesome Knowledge: Information Literacy Threshold Concepts in the Natural Sciences”. Panel presented at the ACRL 2013 Annual Conference in Indianapolis, IN, 2013.
Garcia, M.M. & Robinson, S.M. "The Library as Bridge Between Science and Art". Talk presented at the AAAS 2013 Annual Meeting in Boston, MA, 2013.
Garcia, M.M. “How Good are You at the Guessing Game? An Easy Way to Check your Book Collection Development Criteria”. Lightening Talk presented at the 2012 ALAO Annual Conference in Wilmington, OH, 2012.
Garcia, M.M., Pantle, K.L., Bostic, M., Edgerton, M.C., & Klemetti, E.W. “Between a Rock and a Virtual Place: Creating a Digital Collection for the Geosciences”. Poster presented at the 2011 ALAO Annual Conference in Toledo, OH, 2011.
Garcia, M.M. “The Five Laws of Library Science”. Talk presented at the Denison University Tuesday Lunch Series in Granville, OH, 2010.
Clemons, A., Garcia, M., Klinepeter, P., Ryan, C., DeShazo, K., Beals, N. et al. "Reports of Conferences, Institutes, and Seminars". Serials Review 35, no. 4: 286-292. 2009.
Garcia, M.M., Boyd, M., Hartel, L., Kilzer, R., & Kuehn, J. “'Search OSU and beyond…': the impact of WorldCat Local at The Ohio State University". Poster presented at the 2009 ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, IL, 2009.
Garcia, M.M. "Student Spotlight: Moriana M. Garcia". Ohio Valley Group of Technical Services Librarians Newsletter 21: 9. 2008.
Lima, V.C., Molchanov, M.L., Aguiar, D.C., Campos, A.C., & Guimarães, F.S. "Modulation of defensive responses and anxiety-like behaviors by group I metabotropic glutamate receptors located in the dorsolateral periaqueductal gray". Progress In Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry 32, no. 1: 178-185. 2008.
Molchanov, M.L., & Rubio, M. E. "Glutamate-induced morphological changes in Bergmann glia processes surrounding excitatory synapses". Poster presented at the Society for Neuroscience 2004 Annual Meeting in San Diego, CA, 2004.
Moreira, F.A., Molchanov, M.L., & Guimarães, F.S. "Ionotropic glutamate-receptor antagonists inhibit the aversive effects of nitric oxide donor injected into the dorsolateral periaqueductal gray of rats". Psychopharmacology 171, no. 2: 199-203. 2004.
de Araújo Moreira, F., Molchanov, M.L., & Guimarães, F.S. "Flight reactions to nitric oxide in the inferior colliculus of rats depend on NMDA receptor activation". Pharmacology, Biochemistry, and Behavior 76, no. 1: 35-41. 2003.
Molchanov, M.L., & Guimarães, F.S. "Anxiolytic-like effects of AP7 injected into the dorsolateral or ventrolateral columns of the periaqueductal gray of rats". Psychopharmacology 160, no. 1: 30-38. 2002.
Molchanov, M.L., & Guimarães, F.S. "Defense reaction induced by a metabotropic glutamate receptor agonist microinjected into the dorsal periaqueductal gray of rats". Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research 32, no. 12:1533-1537. 1999.
I am passionate about knowledge and fortunate to work on what I love deeply. As a science librarian at a small liberal arts college, I collaborate daily with faculty and students in an intellectual journey whose main goal is to create new knowledge. With the advent of the online world the role of libraries is evolving and expanding rapidly to embrace new areas. This is especially true of science libraries. To thrive in this changing scholarly landscape, I support the idea that libraries need to reinvent themselves as creative spaces, as places where knowledge happens unbound and unlimited. I regard engagement with the creative economy as the most compelling call in the future of libraries.
Membership in professional associations
- Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO), Member, 2007-present;
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Member 2009-present.
- American Library Association (ALA), Member, 2007-present;
- Association for Information Science & Technology (ASIS&T), Special Interest Group (SIG) Cabinet Advisor, 2014-2015; Chair, SIG-Scientific and Technical Information (SIG-STI), 2013; Treasurer, Central Ohio Chapter (CO-ASIS&T), 2011-2012; Membership Chair, CO-ASIS&T, 2009-2010; Student Representative, CO-ASIS&T, 2008; Member 2008-present;
- Association for Library Collections and Technical Services (ALCTS), Member, 2007-present;
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), Member, 2009-present;
- ACRL-Science & Technology Section (STS), Liaison to ASIS&T, 2013-2015; Member, 2009-present;
- Beta Phi Mu - the International Library and Information Studies Honor Society
Honors and awards
- Jane Myers Memorial Cataloging Scholarship (2009).
- Northern Ohio Technical Services Librarians (NOTSL) Scholarship (2009).
- Outstanding International Library Student. Kent State University (2008).
- Student scholarship. OVGTSL, to attend the OVGTSL 2008 Conference, Dayton, Ohio (2008).
- Postdoctoral fellowship. Brazilian National Research Council (CNPq – 2004).
- Doctoral fellowship. Sao Paulo Foundation for Scientific Research (FAPESP - 1999).
- Master studies fellowship. Brazilian Foundation for the Improvement of Higher Education (CAPES -1997).
- Graduate fellowship for scientific improvement. Brazilian National Research Council (CNPq - 1996).
Fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese.